Crossed leg coffee table

You should have seen me when i was one day in my dearest Friday Market and i saw what would be the catch of the month!!! Almost fainted.THOSE LEGS!Not a boring piece, yet not over done.
Simple yet with a touch of sophistication.
Subtle but with a strong personality.
Nothing ordinary.
A statement piece.Perfection.Had to be mine. Now.

2015-12-15 08.33.51

So, as expected it came back home with me.

And you know what happens when you are fall in love… we ALL tend to overlook all these obvious defects, glitches and twitches that the other person has… Specially in my case, when my speed dating with the coffee table lasted for a maximum of 30 seconds. SO, after one long hour i reached back home with the table  (and with it, a long censoring look of my husband… hehehe I dont blame him) and then is when i REALLY started getting to know the table.
Not so great. Not at all. Legs were cool, but wood was really really dry and had been exposed to water, as i could see. The top was… how can i say it nicely? Worse than in bad condition. Lets take a close look:
2015-12-15 08.33.56.jpg
And even a bit closer…
 2015-12-15 08.33.59.jpg
And another one of the legs to really grasp reality…
  2015-12-15 08.35.05.jpg
First, i sanded and sanded and sanded both the legs and the top… my idea was to stain the wood again with a walnut tone to have a timeless and classy coffee table. But my plan failed miserably. The sanding part worked, and staining the legs also, but that top was far too damaged and when i stained it looked all patchy and with 50 shades of brown… NOT FUN.
I will spare you the drama and the picture with the drama. In part because i didn’t even take one.
What i did next was to seal the top with a primer, and then apply layer after layer of paint… in a beige color. And here the result.
And please, allow me for one last before and after:

2015-12-15 08.33.51IMG_3216.JPG

Candy stripped chair

A couple of months ago i managed to get a chair  with a very cute shape and lots of potential in Friday Market.

Lots. Of. Potential.

These are the three magic words that i repeat in my head and make me feel so much better every time I’m not even 32% convinced of what i buy, why i am buying it or when i will have the time to redo it.

Here is the one:


After driving it home and letting it hibernate in a dark storage room for a couple of months, ok half year, i decided it was time to bring that potential out and finally reupholster it. To start with, i sprayed painted the legs in a shinny black, just to make sure that if the legs were showing, they would look a bit more decent than their current status.

The idea that took shape in my head was to use this chair in the kids room, so I looked for a cheerful and lively fabric that could go well both for curtains and for the chair. I wanted something bold and with personality, while affordable and semi-opaque, for the window treatment. The chosen fabric was Sofia from Ikea, at KD 2.750 per meter.


And this is the final result. As you can see below, i asked to cover the legs with a skirt and to center a red line. Also, the upholsterer added some red pipe around the lower part of the seat, which makes it look very cute 🙂



And a last before and after: